Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jeans and That Person You Want to Be

Oh look! A second blog today! I must be....

Bored out of my mind. That's what I am. And I've been shopping. Victoria's Secret, if you must know. I had a coupon that expired on December 19, 2010, and if I didn't use it today, I'd forget about it. But as I was searching for the perfect piece to waste my $10 off on, (I finally picked a blue lace turtleneck sweater, not that you needed to know) I was wondering why it was that I felt myself wishing all the pieces that I was filing through were in my closet. Why do I not usually buy things like that? Am I really perfectly satisfied to wear the same thing every day, jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a sweater? 

Why is it that those adorable little knitted stockings make my skin crawl? Why is it that I want that skirt more than I think I've ever wanted anything? Why do I want to look like her.....this is ridiculous. I know the sermons, I know what I'm supposed to believe. We're not supposed to want to look like those girls in those magazines. They are a supreme ideal that no one can be held to, materialistic vapid bitches upon which we've built an empire of silicone and falseness. 

But there is one glaringly important problem with that idea.

They're so damn pretty! What crime is there in wanting to look pretty? My idea of pretty. Who cares if it's been poisoned by their idea of pretty? It's aesthetically pleasing while speaking to me on a sensual, instinctive level that my rational brain can only feebly attempt to interpret. 

For years, I've dressed the same way. Jeans, sweaters, t-shirts. Boring. Any day is the same as the next. Nothing to differentiate me from the rest of the people in the world. I'm a creative person. Why is it that I feel like I have to limit my creativity in my clothing? Why is it that I feel I have to be lazy and boring? Why is it that with each well-worn t-shirt with the witty saying I feel I can hide myself, content to be something mediocre that can blend into the background? It's going to be over. No more of the same nonsense. I'm a talented, creative individual. The world must see this. I'm worth being seen.

So I've decided that I want to dress more like the people that I've been drooling over for the past several hours. When I leave for Christmas break, I will pack up a large portion of my clothes. Then I will bring back the small portion of my clothes that I will deem acceptable. Then I will be forced to dress nicely. I won't have any other choice. It seems like a fool-proof plan to me. No more novelty t-shirts. No more Jeans. 

This is going to be damn hard. Worth it? Undecided. I'll let you know. 

*On the bright side, this has been my first blog not about my love life. Plus? I think so*

No comments:

Post a Comment